COVID deaths in Barbados now at 11
A 48-year-old woman who had an underlying illness, is the 11th person to die from COVID-19 in Barbados.
The Ministry of Health and Wellness, and by extension the Government of Barbados, extend sincere condolences to the family and friends of the deceased. It is the fourth death from the viral illness over the last nine days.
The 761 tests carried out by the Best-dos Santos Public Health Laboratory on Tuesday also identified 16 new COVID-19 positive cases, while 22 people recovered from the viral illness and were discharged from isolation.
As a result, there are now 353 active cases on the island.
The 16 new positives comprise 14 Barbadians and one whose nationality is still to be determined. One of the new cases is someone who was previously sent to the Harrison’s Point Isolation Facility in St Lucy for assessment.
The number of cases at Her Majesty’s Prisons Dodds remains at 361, consisting of 102 staff members and 259 male inmates.
To date, Barbados has recorded 1 443 confirmed cases – 580 females, 863 males – and 1 079 persons have recovered.
The public health laboratory has so far completed 100 890 tests. (BGIS)
Editor’s Note: The original release said the deceased was 51 years old, while a release from the COVID Communications Unit said she was in her late 40s. The age was subsequently given as 48.