Posted on

Nearly 8 000 apply for aid


Gercine Carter

Nearly 8 000 apply for aid
Minister of Small Business, Kerrie Symmonds. (GP)

Social Share

Close to 8 000 entrepreneurs and micro business owners in Barbados have applied for the financial aid promised by Government to tide them over the two weeks of national pause.

The House of Assembly yesterday approved an emergency drawdown of $3.5 million from a supplementary amount in the 2020-2021 Estimates, to assist those who will be affected by the lockdown which runs from today to February 17.

Minister of Small Business Kerrie Symmonds said since his announcement of the promised relief last Thursday, 7 827 applications had been received online and more continued to come in. He told the House 4 869 applications had been processed while another 2 958 were being worked on.

The money will be disbursed through Fund Access and Barbados Trust Loans Ltd. (GC)

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.