Cayman cuts mandatory quarantine period for some visitors
GEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands– Premier Alden McLaughlin on Wednesday announced that the mandatory quarantine period across the territory, will be reduced to 10 days, starting March 22, 2021.
The Premier made the announcement as Cayman reached its target of vaccinating 90 percent of the over-60 population.
There are approximately 5 000 people living in the Cayman Islands who are aged 60 or over.
Speaking during a press briefing Wednesday morning, the premier said Cayman had reached the “much-anticipated milestone” and more than 91 per cent of that population were vaccinated.
“This gives us confidence that the most vulnerable have been protected for the worst of COVID-19 disease,” he said.
Starting March 22, people arriving on island who have been vaccinated at least two weeks prior will only need to be in isolation for 10 days, rather than the current 14 days. Travellers will continue to be required to provide a negative PCR result from a test taken within 72 hours of travel, as well as a negative result from a test taken at the airport upon arrival.
The premier however confirmed that children will still need to undergo a 14-day quarantine, as currently anyone under the age of 16 cannot get vaccinated.
Family members quarantining with the children would also need to remain in isolation for 14 days.
McLaughlin said between 70 and 80 per cent of the entire population would need to be vaccinated before the borders – which remain closed to general tourism- could be fully opened, while keeping other protection protocols in place. He stated Cayman had “a ways to go still, but we’re certainly well on the way”.
Since March last year, 460 cases of coronavirus have been reported in Cayman. (CMC)