Ease in order, says PM
The significant reduction in the rate of new COVID-19 infections has Barbados in a good place again, says Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley.
Last night, she told the nation she was satisfied with the inroads made in battling the pandemic and was comfortable enough to take a chance on the country.
So, for a two-week period from Sunday to April 26, Barbadians will return to a stage not seen since last year just before the Christmas season.
The curfew will be removed on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays and the current 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. lockdown replaced with one 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
In addition, Barbados is fine-tuning new protocols which, from May 8, will allow vaccinated travellers into the country and their eventual release into the public space after a PCR test within the first 24 hours of their arrival.
“We are conscious that Barbadians have largely responded to what we put in place, and that we have to continue to live. One thing we can’t do is stay still,” the Prime Minister said in a nationally televised press conference.
She said what allowed Government to further open up the country was that the positivity rate of COVID-19 infections had dropped under five per cent for most of the last three weeks, and under two per cent for most of the last week. (BA)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.