LIVE UPDATES: June 26, 2021
Key points and live updates from the June 26, 2021 media conference by Minister of Health Jeffrey Bostic.
Minister of Health Jeffrey Bostic:
- In January/February, I said we needed to endure a period of short-term pain to enjoy long-term gain.
- I have to caution everyone that we must not enjoy short-term pleasure to endure long-term pain.
- I am not worried about the slight increase in the number of positive cases in recent days.
- The fact that we have eased up on the restrictions is not an excuse to throw caution to the wind.
- Best-dos Santos Public Health Laboratory has capacity to screen for variants
- Some of our equipment had to be sent overseas for recalibration
- The equipment has returned
- Barbados will try to get vaccines from Cuba once they have received the necessary approval
- It has never been the practice of the Ministry of Health and Wellness to name private sector businesses that had people who tested positive for COVID
- We named Government primary and secondary schools
- There was no dropping of the ball
- As the soon as the information was received, the information was communicated to the Ministry of Education and the schools
- There is no reason to hide anything
- We now have an electronic vaccination certificate
- It carries a bar code and a security seal
- All people vaccinated will get an electronic certificate
- They are to be presented for entry to events
- This is to be used by people when they travel
- We are falling down at the individual level
- If we want to continue to enjoy the ease of restrictions, we have to be responsible
Chief Medical Officer Dr Kenneth George:
- There were 22 positive cases since June 22.
- This is a cause for concern.
- There are 2 family clusters and cases at a manufacturing business.
- Positive cases at two schools – Princess Margaret and Ann Hill.
- We indicated in January that we had community spread
- We never said community spread had stopped
- The best public advice is to behave as if there is community spread
- Barbados is trying to source vaccines from multiple sources
- Pfizer has been authorized to give vaccines to people under age 12
- More than 100 people in quarantine
- Most had their first test and are awaiting result of the second test
- The reason why people are in quarantine at hotels is to try to contain the spread of COVID
Dr Corey Forde
- 3 people in general ICU
- 2 extremely ill – on ventilator support occasionally
- Some pretty young individuals – in the 40-year age-group
- Getting tested is important
- Anyone showing symptoms should get tested
- If we want to stay out of lockdown, follow the protocols
- Please get vaccinated
- Some young people have presented ill to the health care system
- When you talk to them, they tell you they had a loss of taste, smell, a headache etc
- They did not present to the system – they said they were not sure
- If you are not sure, get tested
- Two people who tested positive for COVID previously tested for COVID
- Both are non-nationals
Dr Leslie Rollock:
Cluster in manufacturing establishment:
- 12 people tested positive
- This illustrates what happens when people get comfortable
- Includes 9 in the workplace and 3 associated with the workplace
- The second cluster is a family
- It reaches into other places
- There are 8 positives cases
- They impacted another manufacturing establishment where people had to be quarantined
Head of the COVID Monitoring Unit Ronald Chapman
- As cases fall, we are seeing complacency
- We are becoming a victim of our success
- Do not drop your guard in the workplace
- COVID is completely fluid
- Things change at the drop of a dime.
- We need to follow the protocols.
- In the last week, before the law courts, we had 19 COVID-related matters
- There were 7 convictions
- Fines ranged from $500 to $2 000