Posted on

Community rescues family from fire

Community rescues family from fire
A police officer on the scene at 1st Avenue, Chapman Lane, St Michael, where three people were severely burnt in a house fire. (Picture by Reco Moore)

Social Share

Patsy Elcock’s grandson was among those who went to the rescue of the Mitchell family at 1st Avenue Chapman Lane, St Michael early Saturday morning.

Janice Mitchell, her daughter Keisha and one-year-old granddaughter all sustained burns in the blaze.

While Elcock is grateful the fire did not spread in the densely populated community, it was tough seeing the injuries to the baby.

“To see that little infant, she ain’t do a soul nothing and got to go through this here. I couldn’t look at them, I had to turn and come back in when I see she head,” Elcock told Nation News.

The fire started after 2 a.m. in Chapman Lane and was contained to the home. And while she is concerned about the injured family, Elcock, who lives next door, says tragedy was averted by the speed of the community.

“I could have been in here and it could have been a full tragedy because if the neighours didn’t move fast, you don’t know if the flames would go up and it could have come cross and I would have been gone …”

The three members of the Mitchell family were all being treated at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for severe burns.

Police are investigating.