Posted on

150 prefab houses coming from China


Kendy

150 prefab houses coming from China
Minister of Housing, Lands and Maintenance Dr William Duguid. (FILE)

Social Share

Government will be importing 150 prefabricated emergency houses from China to “jump start” and boost its response to residents whose houses were affected by the freak storm and Hurricane Elsa.

Minister of Housing, Lands and Maintenance Dr William Duguid gave the update while speaking on Tuesday in the House of Assembly during a $50.4 million supplementary for his ministry which included $20.3 million to cover the cost of the repairs and rebuild programme for roofs and houses damaged or destroyed by the adverse weather that affected Barbados in June and July, respectively.

The Christ Church West Central parliamentary representative said of the 2 106 incident reports, 90 per cent of the technical assessments were completed, giving them an idea of which houses required repairs or rebuilding.

He also told the Lower Chamber that three workshops had been equipped and functioning to precut the material to be transported to locations and assembled but they could only produce 18 to 20 houses per week. (GBM)

 

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.