Griffith to return to court on November 10
Port Of Spain – Former commissioner of police Gary Griffith will return to court here on November 10, even though his attorneys had informed the High Court Monday that an agreement had been reached with the Police Service Commission (PSC) regarding his suspension less than 24 hours after he was due to have taken up a position as acting top cop earlier this month.
Former attorney general Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj, who is leading a team of lawyers representing Griffith, told Justice Nadia Kangaloo despite a settlement had been reached between the parties over the last weekend, his client was not prepared to forgo one outstanding issue.
He said Griffith was entitled to seek a declaration from the court that his September 17 suspension was unlawful “and unless there is settlement on this issue, he is entitled to pursue his claim”.
“We were hoping today to tell the court the matter was totally resolved, but one of the terms of the settlement has not been complied with,” Maharaj said, noting that Griffith will not be pursuing the application for the injunction, since he has agreed to defer his return to work until October 31 or until an investigation by retired judge Stanley John was completed.
“We feel reasonably confident that this matter could be resolved,” Maharaj said.
Griffith, whose three-year term as police commissioner came to an end last month, had argued that the PSC acted illegally when it ordered him to not return to duty until further notice.
Media reports said he had been suspended on the basis of an investigation the PSC initiated on September 1. (CMC)