Queen Elizabeth to rest for two more weeks
London – The whole country wishes the Queen well, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said, after she was advised by doctors to rest for two more weeks.
On Friday, Buckingham Palace announced the monarch, 95, would not undertake official visits for a fortnight.
It said she would continue with some light, desk-based duties and it was her “firm intention” to attend Remembrance Sunday at the Cenotaph on November 14.
The prime minister said “the important thing” was the Queen getting some rest.
“I spoke to her Majesty, as I do every week, this week and she’s on very good form,” Johnson said.
“She’s just got to follow the advice of her doctors and get some rest and I think that’s the important thing.
The Queen underwent preliminary medical checks in hospital on October 20 after cancelling a visit to Northern Ireland, having “reluctantly” accepted medical advice to rest for a few days.
Her stay at London’s King Edward VII’s Hospital was her first overnight hospital stay in eight years.
Although she resumed public engagements earlier this week, it was announced on Wednesday the Queen would not attend the COP26 climate change summit in Glasgow as previously planned.
Her planned address to delegates attending COP26 was recorded on Friday afternoon and will be played via video at the event. Other royals will still attend the summit.
‘Fatigue, not illness’
Friday’s statement from Buckingham Palace said the Queen would continue to hold “virtual audiences” during the fortnight of rest, but said the monarch would not attend any official visits, including the Festival of Remembrance, held at the Royal Albert Hall on the evening before the Remembrance Sunday service.
Royal correspondent Johnny Dymond said “fatigue, not illness” seemed to be the issue – with the message from Palace officials stressing the two weeks’ rest was “a sensible precaution” for the 95-year-old.
The Queen’s absolute determination to attend the Remembrance Sunday service in Whitehall was “notable”, he added. (BBC)