BAS Eggplant Chutney
BAS Eggplant Chutney (Goes with ham)
SERVES: Makes 3 cups
- 1 (300g) medium eggplant, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (70g) coarse cooking salt
- 1 (150g) medium brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (250ml) cider vinegar
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 star anise
- 6 sticks thyme
- 6 sticks marjoram
- Place eggplant in colander, sprinkle with salt and stand 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant, pat dry.
- Combine eggplant, onion, thyme, marjoram, garlic, vinegar, cinnamon and star anise, sugar and salt in medium saucepan. Simmer uncovered while stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes or until vegetables are pulpy.