Harvest starts after weigh bridge hiccup
The 2022 sugar harvest did not get off to a smooth start yesterday.
There was a computer glitch at the weigh bridge at Portvale sugar factory which caused a prolonged “dead time” on several plantations, as workers had to wait longer for the large blue trailer bins to return so they could get on with their duties.
However, when contacted around noon, operations manager of the Blowers, St James factory, Marlon Munroe, told the DAILY NATION: “The issue occurred this morning. We managed to get it resolved and we are up and running receiving canes.”
On Saturday, Minister of Agriculture Indar Weir said 100 000 tonnes of cane will be harvested, an increase of 7 871 compared to last year’s 92 129 tonnes. (SB)