T&T removes COVID-19 testing entry requirement
Port of Spain – Travellers to Trinidad & Tobago will not require a negative COVID-19 test to enter the two-island republic from Friday.
Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh announced at Wednesday’s COVID-19 briefing that he had been authorised by Acting Prime Minister Colm Imbert to announce that a negative PCR, or antigen test, or both will no longer be needed from July 1.
The Ministry of Tourism, Culture and the Arts, in a statement, welcomed the removal of the COVID-19 testing requirement, stating it is expected to result in quicker processing times at ports of entry and contribute greatly to the recovery of the tourism sector.
The ministry statement read in part that it “looks forward to welcoming visitors, returning nationals, and members of the diaspora to T&T as it continues to strengthen the tourism sector and facilitate the environment necessary for an exciting and unforgettable visitor experience”.
Meantime, Minister Deyalsingh said the Cabinet agreed to proclaim monkeypox a dangerous infectious disease, under Section 103 of the Public Health Ordinance, with immediate effect.
It also approved an order to allow special measures to be taken in light of the emergency of the spread of the monkeypox under Section 6(1) of the Quarantine Act, Chap 28:05, allowing authorities to quarantine travellers entering T&T with a foreign travel history who are either a suspected or confirmed case of the virus.
“The Cabinet note and the decision under these two pieces of legislation also allow the minister to designate a facility specifically for the treatment and isolation of persons with monkeypox,” the Health Minister said.
“We have taken a decision that the Caura facility (Caura Hospital) will be designated as the facility to isolate and treat any suspected or confirmed case of monkeypox. We urge people to pay attention to the global issues surrounding monkeypox.”