Posted on

NHC backlog down 75%


Carlos Atwell

NHC backlog down 75%
People lining up to speak to representatives of the Barbados Workers’ Union Cooperative Credit Union at the fair. (Picture by Reco Moore.)

Social Share
Share

The National Housing Corporation (NHC) has been able to reduce its backlog of clients by more than 75 per cent, says Minister of Housing Dwight Sutherland.

Yesterday during a mortgage fair in Golden Square Freedom Park, The City, he said they had taken a long hard look at the list of people waiting on housing, some going back decades.

“We’ve had a 25 000 backlog of applicants at National Housing. I am pleased to report that the team sat and went through all those applicants, which run over the course of 20 years, and found some persons are deceased, some have applied three or four times. So we have analysed that data and we can say clearly we only have close to 3 000 eligible applicants left who are earning under $2 000 [a month],” he said.

In the Sunday Sun of July 3, the minister had said there was a backlog of 17 500 applications at the NHC, down from 20 000 recorded earlier this year. (CA)

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.