Flash flood warning discontinued
Weather forecasters in Barbados discontinued the flash flood warning for northern and north-western districts at 3:20 p.m. (local time) on Thursday, but a severe thunderstorm watch appeared still in place for northern and north-western districts until 6 p.m.
Forecasters from the Barbados Meteorological Services (BMS) had issued a severe thunderstorm watch, and a flash flooding warning for northern and north-western districts early on Thursday because a tropical wave continued to affect the island.
But they said conditions had improved and the flash flood warning was discontinued.
“Although the lingering moisture and instability remain across the island, wind speeds have increased hence the probability of localised activity has diminished,” the BMS weather alert stated.
In relation to the severe thunderstorm watch, which the BMS issued early on Thursday, there was no word on if it had been discontinued.
Forecasters said residents and visitors to the island could expect some lightning activity, and increased likelihood of power outages if lightning strikes power utility infrastructure during the severe thunderstorm watch.