Reynold Weekes and All Saints split NAPSAC titles
It was a north vs east battle at the Usain Bolt Sports Complex as All Saints’ Primary School and Reynold Weekes Primary School were the top two in both divisions of the Anton Norris Zone yesterday.
All Saints’ Primary took home the Girls’ division with 258 points, 28 more than second placed Reynold Weekes on 230 points, while Hillaby Turners Hall Primary finished third with 162 points. Reynold Weekes secured the Boys’ division with 223 points. All Saints’ Primary were runners-up with 188 points, 20 ahead of Hillaby Turners Hall Primary School.
Despite a somewhat subdued atmosphere on day three of the Chefette Frosteez National Primary School Athlete Championship (NAPSAC) 2023, Ethan Best brought a vibrancy to proceedings with his electrifying performances in the Under-9 category.
Convincing wins in the 80, 100 and 150 metre dashes with times of 13.09 seconds, 16.09 and 24.62, respectively, saw the Reynold Weekes student capture the victor ludorum award.
Those who did turn up witnessed history being made in the Under-11 Boys’ 300 metres. Natarie Levine, who was the top performer of his age group with 21 points, finished with a time of 47.41, breaking the record of 47.45 set by Justin Leacock from A Dacosta Edwards Primary School in 2019. Levine, who goes to Hillaby Turners Hall Primary School, got another 11 points for finishing fourth in the 100 and third in the 200 metres.
The victrix Ludorum award was shared by Akera Applewaithe and Najada Philips from Reynold Weekes Primary School and All Saints Primary School, respectively, as both got 28 points.
Ten-year-old Applewaithe had the best time in the Girls’ Under-11 300 metre dash with 52.87, considerably better than the next best performance by Brianna Rollins from Deacons Primary School who came in at 54.31. She also won the long jump with a distance of 2.96 metres and was second in the 200m.
Philips won her Under-13 200 metre dash and the cricket ball throw and placed second in the 600 metres open to her schoolmate Raheem Jemmott.
NAPSAC continues today at the Usain Bolt Complex as the Marcia Trotman Zone gets under way. The schools in this zone are: Elliot Belgrave Primary, St Mary’s Primary, St George Primary, St Patrick’s Roman Catholic Primary, Charles F Broome Memorial Primary, Selah Primary, Trinity Academy, St James Primary, St Margaret Primary, Bay Primary, Beyond the Box Education.
- All Saints’ Primary School 258
- Reynold Weekes Primary School 230
- Hillaby Turners Hall Primary School 162
- Deacons Primary School 94
- St Joseph Primary School 74
- Grantley Prescod Memorial Primary School 72
- Cuthbert Moore Primary School 71
- Arthur Smith Primary School 52
- St John Primary School 51
- Welches Primary School 37
- Erdiston Special School 1
- Reynold Weekes Primary School 223
- All Saints’ Primary School 188
- Hillaby Turners Hall Primary 168
- Arthur Smith Primary School 129
- Grantley Prescod Memorial 89
- Welches Primary School 74
- St John Primary School 55
- Cuthbert Moore Primary School 50
- Deacons Primary School 49
- St Joseph Primary 48
- Erdiston Special School 37