Grand Kadooment returns to old route
Grand Kadooment 2023 will be returning to its traditional stomping ground with the parade along the old route from Warrens to the Mighty Grynner Highway.
The announcement came after an emergency meeting at the National Cultural Foundation (NCF) on Saturday morning, and chief executive officer, Carol Roberts-Reifer, said some tweaks would have to be made as concerns about security remained.
“There is work to be done. The route works, it has worked in the past for several years, but it needs some tweaking as there have been challenges over the passage of time,” she said.
Last year as the country emerged from COVID-19, a new route from Warrens along the ABC Highway to the Bussa roundabout was used. However, respondents in the Crop Over exit survey were almost split down the middle about the two routes.
Colorz bandleader, Bryan Worrell said there were no surprises coming out of the emergency meeting, and while they welcomed the move, some changes would have to be made.
“Obviously we will look at some improvements going back to the traditional route because the reason we would have in the past asked to move is because there were some issues. We would now have, through a process of meetings with the NCF start looking at the adjustments to improve what we had left there before.”
Last Friday during the post-Cabinet media briefing, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office with responsibility for Culture, Senator Dr Shantal Munro-Knight, announced with the exception of cavalcades, there would be a full return of all national events for Crop Over 2023. (Nation News)