• Today
    July 11

  • 04:42 AM

Plan to install tanks to hold sewage

HEATHER-LYNN EVANSON, heatherlynevanson@nationnews.com

Added 02 May 2018

philip-allsopp-and-adrian-kashman

BWA contractor Philip Allsopp (right) in conversation with Dr Adrian Cashman (left), the Future Centre Trust programme manager Ann Harding and Future Centre Trust Director Barney Gibbs. (Picture by Heather-Lynn Evanson.)

As raw sewage continues to run onto one of the South Coast’s most popular beaches, the Barbados Water Authority (BWA) is looking at possibly installing fiberglass tanks to contain the flow of the effluent.

This has been revealed by BWA contractor Philip Allsopp, who found himself the centre of attention on Tuesday as directors of the Future Centre Trust met with technical experts Andrew Hutchinson and Dr Adrian Cashman to discuss the problem-plagued South Coast Sewerage Project.

It’s now been two years that raw sewage has been seeping into the roads and onto properties in a number of areas, from Graeme Hall to Hastings. The latest incident to be highlighted was occurring at the popular Accra Beach where a vendor said the sewage had been coming from a canal and running into the sea since last November. That vendor has taken to damming the sewage to prevent its flow into the water.

 Allsopp said the BWA recognised the entire problem was a crisis and that it was a priority.

“We have got raw sewage flowing directly into Accra,” he said as he revealed other BWA officers and he visited the spot recently to access the situation.

“What is planned is to put some fibreglass tanks there to hold the sewage and then remove it. But in terms of money, we have to get quotations, at least three quotations, and then get the money.”

He explained they would either be 1 500-gallon or 2 000-gallon tanks and would be emptied every day, or more often, depending on the volume of sewage collected,” he told Hutchinson, Cashman, trust chairman Vivian-Anne Gittens and director Barney Gibbs.

The BWA’s hierarchy, which has described the issue as a national crisis, has identified a blockage in the area of RT’s Discount as the culprit. It has started work on what have become highly controversial injection wells to hold the sewage while the engineers fix the problem. (HLE)

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Dos and Donts


Welcome to our discussion forum here on nationnews.com. We encourage lively debate, but we also urge you to take note of the following:

  • Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.
  • Be respectful – Meeting differences of opinion with civil discussion encourages multiple perspectives and a positive commenting environment.
  • Do not type in capitals – In addition to being considered “shouting” it is also difficult to read.
  • All comments will be moderated – Given the volume of comments each day, this may take some time. So please be patient.
  • We reserve the right to remove comments – Comments that we find to be abusive, spam, libellous, hateful, off-topic or harassing may be removed.
  • Reproduction of comments – Some of your comments may be reproduced on the website or in our daily newspapers. We will use the handle, not your email address.
  • Do not advertise – Please contact our Advertising Department.
  • Contact our Online Editor if you have questions or concerns.
  • Read our full Commenting Policy and Terms of Use.
comments powered by Disqus

POLL

Should the headquarters of a new regional airline remain in Antigua & Barbuda?

Yes
No

FRONT COVER OF TODAY'S NEWSPAPER

CARTOON

INSTAGRAM