Minister in the Ministry of Finance Ryan Straughn. (FILE)
- VIDEO: The rights of consumers Read More
- VAT on transactions delayed again Read More
- Lara, Sarwan to assist batsmen ahead of India Tests Read More
- Champs Barcelona lose opener Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Author Paule Marshall passes Read More
Government has started to have preliminary discussions with several entities it is indebted to.
Minister in the Ministry of Finance Ryan Straughn told the Sunday Sun that after these discussions reach an advanced stage, priority would be given to repayment but it would be a phased process since the country is $1.2 billion in debt, dozens of agencies are owed, and the adjustment period under the Barbados Economic Recovery Transformation (BERT) programme is underway.
The minister was reluctant to provide a list of the entities owed, saying they wanted to treat to the debt as equitably as possible.
“The truth is the debt is over a billion dollars. The Government owes almost everyone in Barbados,” he admitted. (BA)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.