• Today
    August 20

  • 01:54 PM

Barbados booted out by FIFA

Anmar Goodridge-Boyce, anmargoodridge-boyce@nationnews.com

Added 07 December 2018

hallam-hope

Barbados' Hallam Hope (left)

Barbados’ chances of qualifying for the Concacaf Gold Cup next year have taken a turn for the worse.

Late yesterday evening, Concacaf announced that its disciplinary committee decided to sanction the Barbados Football Association (BFA), by declaring as a forfeit the Concacaf Nations League qualifying match played against Guyana on September 6.

A statement on Concacaf’s website said: “After due examination of the evidence, the committee determined that the Barbados Football Association infringed the applicable articles of the tournament regulations and the regulations governing the application of the FIFA Statutes in relation to the eligibility of players to play for representative teams by fielding ineligible players Hallam Hope and Krystian Pearce.”

The statement also said:  “In accordance with Articles 55 and 31 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code, the Barbados Football Association is considered to have lost the match against Guyana by a score of 3-0.”


Following that match, Barbados went on to lose to El Salvador before they defeated United States Virgin Islands (USVI) last month.
Concacaf’s decision means that Guyana’s prospects of qualifying for the 2019 Gold Cup are now boosted.

Guyana have moved to eighth position on six points, while Barbados dropped from 18th to 23rd with only three points.

It comes after the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) filed an official appeal last week to FIFA, claiming that Hope and Pearce had not received clearance from both FIFA and the English Football Association (FA) to represent Barbados.

The 24-year-old Hope scored both of Barbados’ goals when the sides played to a 2-2 draw at the Leonara Stadium.
It is the second time in three years that Barbados has been forced to forfeit a match in a major competition.

In 2015 , Barbados were disqualified from the FIFA 2018 World Cup Qualifiers after allowing midfielder Hadan Holligan to play against Arbua.  Holligan picked up two yellow cards in the same tournament and should have sat out of the match. He scored the lone goal.

Barbados Football Association technical director Ahmed Mohamed declined to comment on the latest development.“We haven’t done anything wrong, but on this case the only one who can give an official comment is the president Mr [Randy] Harris,” he said.


Harris told Nation Sport: “Concacaf made a decision and we have been notified about the ruling.”

The last round of qualifying matches is scheduled for March 2019 with Barbados hosting Nicaragua at the Wildey Turf. (AGB)

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Dos and Donts


Welcome to our discussion forum here on nationnews.com. We encourage lively debate, but we also urge you to take note of the following:

  • Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.
  • Be respectful – Meeting differences of opinion with civil discussion encourages multiple perspectives and a positive commenting environment.
  • Do not type in capitals – In addition to being considered “shouting” it is also difficult to read.
  • All comments will be moderated – Given the volume of comments each day, this may take some time. So please be patient.
  • We reserve the right to remove comments – Comments that we find to be abusive, spam, libellous, hateful, off-topic or harassing may be removed.
  • Reproduction of comments – Some of your comments may be reproduced on the website or in our daily newspapers. We will use the handle, not your email address.
  • Do not advertise – Please contact our Advertising Department.
  • Contact our Online Editor if you have questions or concerns.
  • Read our full Commenting Policy and Terms of Use.
comments powered by Disqus

POLL

Do you think that marijuana should be legalised only for medical and scientific purposes?

Yes
No

FRONT COVER OF TODAY'S NEWSPAPER

CARTOON

INSTAGRAM