Antonio Yearwood has qualified for the final. (Picture by Kenmore Bynoe.)
- Jamaican group completes take-over of Trinidad insurance company Read More
- Government ‘losing out’ on taxes Read More
- Kirby up to World standard Read More
- Rain washes out practice against SA Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Artistes told: Leave out lewd lyrics Read More
Maudlyn Blunt will clash with former Barbados footballer Asabi Downey, and Antonio Yearwood will battle Donovan Riley when the third edition of the Vincent “Sno-cone” Wilkinson Amateur Road Tennis Tournament climaxes on Sunday at 7 p.m., at the Deighton “Pa” Roach Tennis Facility at Bush Hall.
When the semi-finals were staged on Friday night at the same venue, only the night cap game between Yearwood and Shawn Gilkes promised to add some dye to the sweet but colourless trend of straight-sets wins.
But, in the end, the fitness and persistence of Yearwood wore down Gilkes and he won 21-14, 21-17 to maintain the one-sided theme of the night.
Gilkes began with some of his trademark cross court smashes, exciting his supporters.
However, Yearwood battled back smartly, locking the scores from 0-2 up to 8-8 before taking a gallop that a winded Gilkes could not equal. (KB)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.