Winners of the regional junior 3x3 tournament posing with their awards. (Picture by Kenmore Bynoe.)
- Jamaican group completes take-over of Trinidad insurance company Read More
- Government ‘losing out’ on taxes Read More
- Jones breaks 34-year mark Read More
- Marie Aurore gallops to victory Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Scenes of Barbados in Fenty ad Read More
Big man John Jones is living larger than life, having won three major awards including the Co-operators General Insurance Premier League MVP trophy as the highlight of Wednesday’s Barbados Amateur Basketball Association awards ceremony at Golden Sands.
It came in recognition of a truly 2018 outstanding season that saw the former professional player finish fourth in scoring (18.6 ppg) and third in both rebounds (10.2) and blocks (1.8) after leading the League in efficiency, field goal percentage (57) and field goals.
The six-foot-eight forward was named the League’s Best Offensive Player while sharing the play-offs’ MVP award with point guard Chiamaka Browne for guiding Lumber Company Lakers to their sixth League title in 11 years.
Lakers’ success on the night wasn’t limited to Jones, though, as seasoned signal caller Francis Williams won the Senior Coach Of The Year following a season in which his team won the League and reached yet another knockout final. (JM)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.