Patrons enjoying Massy Pan Pun De Sand last year. (FILE)
- VIDEO: The rights of consumers Read More
- VAT on transactions delayed again Read More
- Lara, Sarwan to assist batsmen ahead of India Tests Read More
- Champs Barcelona lose opener Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Author Paule Marshall passes Read More
Pan lovers can once again enjoy Massy Pan Pun De Sand without paying.
Chief Executive Officer of the National Cultural Foundation (NCF), Carol Roberts-Reifer, yesterday announced a ‘silent’ sponsor had come on board to support the popular Crop Over event.
It will also be returning to the usual location at Brandon’s Beach, St Michael.
Roberts-Reifer said the NCF’s decision to introduce an entrance fee was based on its desire to present a high-quality entertainment package, given the public criticism of its quality in recent years, in particular the decline in genuine steel pan performances.
While expressing gratitude for the tremendous gesture of the silent sponsor, the CEO was also full of praise for the title sponsor Massy. “The Massy Group continues to support Pan Pun De Sand in a major way, including donations of steel pans from its Massy Foundation to assist with the development of the genre in schools and communities,” Roberts-Reifer said.
This year, patrons will enjoy a line-up including Len ‘Boogsie’ Sharpe and Phase 2, the Antigua National Steel Symphony Orchestra, Liam Teague with a special tribute to Shadow and Ken ‘Professor’ Philmore.
There will also be a debut performance from the NCF’s school’s pan project with over 60 students from schools across the island.
Massy Pan Pun De Sand is slated for Sunday, July 14 at 4 p.m. (PR/SAT)