• Today
    September 19

  • 01:49 PM

Real Madrid sign Hazard

REUTERS,

Added 07 June 2019

eden-hazard

Chelsea and Real Madrid have agreed to terms for Eden Hazard. (FILE)

MADRID – Real Madrid have agreed a deal to sign Eden Hazard from Chelsea on a five-year contract, the La Liga club said in a statement on Friday.

Real did not reveal the fee but Spanish media reports said they have agreed to pay Chelsea 100 million euros (£89 million) for the Belgium international, who was set to become a free agent in June 2020.

“Real Madrid and Chelsea have agreed the transfer for the player Eden Hazard,” the Spanish club said. “The player will be tied to the club for the next five seasons, until June 30 2024.”

The statement added that Hazard would be officially presented at the club’s Santiago Bernabeu stadium on June 13, subject to completing a medical.

Hazard is Madrid’s joint-record signing along with Gareth Bale, who joined in 2013 from Tottenham Hotspur, and also Chelsea’s most expensive sale.

Hazard leaves Chelsea having recently guided the club to the Europa League title, scoring twice in a 4-1 win over London rivals Arsenal in last month’s final in Baku.

The 28-year-old joined Chelsea from Lille in 2012 for 32 million pounds and won the Europa League in his first season. He later won the Premier League title in 2015 and in 2017 as well as one League Cup and FA Cup.

He scored 16 goals and created another 15 in the Premier League this season as Chelsea finished third in the table.

Hazard is the third major signing Madrid have made in a bid to rebuild their squad after an embarrassing campaign on all fronts – they ended trophyless, sacked two coaches and finished 19 points behind La Liga champions Barcelona.

They have already recruited Brazilian defender Eder Militao from Porto for a fee reported by Spanish media to be 50 million euros and Serbian striker Luka Jovic from Eintracht Frankfurt for a reported 60 million euros.

Brazilian forward Rodrygo is also due to join the club next season after agreeing a reported 45-million-euro move from Santos last year. (Reuters)

whatsapp-alerts-bloc

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Dos and Donts


Welcome to our discussion forum here on nationnews.com. We encourage lively debate, but we also urge you to take note of the following:

  • Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.
  • Be respectful – Meeting differences of opinion with civil discussion encourages multiple perspectives and a positive commenting environment.
  • Do not type in capitals – In addition to being considered “shouting” it is also difficult to read.
  • All comments will be moderated – Given the volume of comments each day, this may take some time. So please be patient.
  • We reserve the right to remove comments – Comments that we find to be abusive, spam, libellous, hateful, off-topic or harassing may be removed.
  • Reproduction of comments – Some of your comments may be reproduced on the website or in our daily newspapers. We will use the handle, not your email address.
  • Do not advertise – Please contact our Advertising Department.
  • Contact our Online Editor if you have questions or concerns.
  • Read our full Commenting Policy and Terms of Use.
comments powered by Disqus

POLL

Do you believe there should be staggered hours to start and end school?

Yes
No

FRONT COVER OF TODAY'S NEWSPAPER

CARTOON

INSTAGRAM