- Guyana welcomes non-stop flight by JetBlue Read More
- Butterfield axes jobs in Bermuda and Cayman Islands Read More
- Milan thrash Wotton Read More
- Jordan, Lewis do it for Patriots Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Ewan McGregor in new Star Wars series Read More
GEORGETOWN – The world’s second largest stock market NASDAQ, has named Guyana as the fastest growing economy in the world.
In a report, NASDAQ said that with a projected growth rate of 16.3 per cent during the four-year period 2018-2021, Guyana is the fastest growing economy in the world.
NASDAQ says that with a GDP size of $3.63 billion (2018 Rank: 160), a growth rate of 4.1 per cent in 2018 and 4.6 per cent in 2019, Guyana’s economy is expected to grow by 33.5 per cent and 22.9 per cent in 2020 and 2021 respectively.
The report added that Guyana is a middle-income country that has an abundance of resources.
The report also pointed to the ExxonMobil discoveries in Guyana and the income that will come to the country when oil production begins next year.
Exxon is expected to start producing up to 120 000 barrels of oil per day from the Liza Phase 1 development next year and the country is projected to be among the world’s largest per-capita oil producers by 2025. (CMC)