Mario Burke has signed a five-year contract with Red Bull and Nike. (FILE)
- VIDEO: The rights of consumers Read More
- VAT on transactions delayed again Read More
- Dates set for Australia Women to tour West Indies Read More
- India tighten grip on Day 3 Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Ewan McGregor in new Star Wars series Read More
Barbados’ fastest man has entered his biggest starting blocks to date. Mario Burke is now a professional athlete after signing five-year contracts with Australian energy drink company Red Bull and American sports shoes, clothing and accessories manufacture, Nike. He did not disclose the financial details of his contract.
As a professional athlete, Burke’s job will be to participate in track and field meets. He will also earn money from endorsements.
It’s the latest achievement for the 22-year-old former Harrison College student who is having an outstanding track and field season.
“I’m humbled and very proud to announce that I am an official Nike and Red Bull athlete,” Burke told THE NATION during a telephone interview from London where he will be participating in this weekend’s Diamond League event. (AGB)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.