• Today
    August 25

  • 09:38 PM

Mixed reports over Bale’s future at Real Madrid

REUTERS,

Added 22 July 2019

gareth-bale

Gareth Bale has won four Champions League titles with Real Madrid. (FILE)

HOUSTON – Forward Gareth Bale’s tenure with Real Madrid could come to an end in a matter of days after manager Zinedine Zidane said the club were working on offloading the Welsh international.

Bale, 30, has won four Champions League titles since joining Madrid from Tottenham Hotspur in 2013 for a then world record 100 million euros, but struggled to hold down his place in the starting side last season.

Amid suggestions that competition will only increase next season after the arrival of Belgian Eden Hazard, Bale was left out of Saturday’s 3-1 defeat by Bayern Munich in a pre-season clash in Houston.

“He wasn’t included in the squad because the club is working on his departure... that’s why he didn’t play,” Zidane told a news conference.

“We’ll have to see if it goes through tomorrow, if it does then all the better. Let’s hope, for everyone’s sake, that it happens soon.”

Zidane’s comments drew a stinging reply from Bale’s agent Jonathan Barnett, who labelled the Frenchman “a disgrace”.

"Zidane is a disgrace to speak like that about someone who has done so much for Real," Barnett was quoted as saying by ESPN.

“If and when Gareth goes it will be because it is in the best interest of Gareth and nothing to do with Zidane pushing.”

Bale was criticised by the Spanish media last season after failing to fill the void left by Cristiano Ronaldo’s departure to Juventus as Madrid came third in La Liga, 19 points behind champions Barcelona.

Zidane, however, said there was nothing personal in his decision to deem Bale surplus to requirements.

“There comes a time when things are done because they need to be done. I’ve not got anything against him,” Zidane added.

“We have to make decisions and change things, that’s all there is to it. I don’t know if this will happen in 24 or 48 hours... it’s for the best for everyone.”

Bale’s high wages – reported by British media to be 600 000 pounds per week – mean few clubs would be capable of signing him permanently.

Barnett last month ruled out chances of him leaving on loan saying he was happy to stay amid reports linking him with Manchester United, Bayern Munich and Spurs. (Reuters)

 

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Dos and Donts


Welcome to our discussion forum here on nationnews.com. We encourage lively debate, but we also urge you to take note of the following:

  • Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.
  • Be respectful – Meeting differences of opinion with civil discussion encourages multiple perspectives and a positive commenting environment.
  • Do not type in capitals – In addition to being considered “shouting” it is also difficult to read.
  • All comments will be moderated – Given the volume of comments each day, this may take some time. So please be patient.
  • We reserve the right to remove comments – Comments that we find to be abusive, spam, libellous, hateful, off-topic or harassing may be removed.
  • Reproduction of comments – Some of your comments may be reproduced on the website or in our daily newspapers. We will use the handle, not your email address.
  • Do not advertise – Please contact our Advertising Department.
  • Contact our Online Editor if you have questions or concerns.
  • Read our full Commenting Policy and Terms of Use.
comments powered by Disqus

POLL

Do you believe the Rock Hall squatters should be entitled to a $25 000 grant or a loan to move out of the area?

Yes
No

FRONT COVER OF TODAY'S NEWSPAPER

CARTOON

INSTAGRAM