Minister of Health and Wellness Jeffrey Bostic. (GP)
A six-member team will leave Barbados next month to start the recruitment of nurses in Ghana.
But before that happens, every effort is being made to ensure that all of the registered nurses and nursing aides here at home who have applied to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) and general health services will be given the opportunity to be seen, interviewed and hired.
Minister of Health and Wellness Jeffrey Bostic made the announcement today during Government’s post-Cabinet press briefing at Government Headquarters, Bay Street, St Michael.
Bostic said some of these health professionals have already been hired and about 20 more are going through the process.
Meanwhile, the six-member team will comprise the chairman of the Board of the QEH, a second board member who is a representative of the Council of Trade Unions and Staff Associations of Barbados, the director of nursing and the director of human resources. The Chief Nursing Officer in the Ministry Health and a representative from the Barbados Council will round out the delegation.
They will travel from August 13 to 26.
An assessment will be made of Ghana’s system and certification, followed by registration and recruitment.
Last month, Ghana’s president Nana Akufo-Addo made an official visit to Barbados and offered the services of up to 400 nurses to address the shortage here.
Bostic said he was also pleased with the operation of the 24-hour polyclinic at Winston Scott Polyclinic. (SAT)