- interCaribbean Airways plans to push ahead Read More
- Apple files countersuit against Fortnite developers Read More
- Moseleys reach semis Read More
- Bucks forward is NBA's Most Valuable Player for second year Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Reggae singer Toots passes away Read More
Barbadians have been snapping up fans and installing air-conditioning units to beat the heat. Some companies are reporting a rise in sales in the last couple of months and particularly in the past two weeks of the ongoing heatwave.
Shopsmart Inc.’s Mark Niles said the warehouse membership club was struggling to keep fans in stock as they were selling “so quickly”.
“We have seen an increase in the sales of fans and AC units as well,” he said, adding that bottled water purchases too, were up.
One Bridgetown store operator, who declined to be identified, said: “We’re only getting the more expensive fans for $120-$150 which are selling, but people want the cheaper, smaller metal, 10-inch fan for $35 or $40 or the bigger one for $50 and $55. Many people cannot afford the more expensive fan, but they want a fan to beat the heat. (GBM)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.