Governor General Dame Sandra Mason (third left at table) and Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley (second left) among guests at the birthday party for Carl Springer. (GP)
- Record job creation in US Read More
- Some Facebook advertisers threaten to withdraw Read More
- Hamilton: Taking the knee up to drivers Read More
- Better odds for WI with Root out Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Sesame Street special tackles COVID Read More
Former Headteacher Carl Springer celebrated his 90th Birthday with charm and style on the beautiful “Gully Deck” at Hunterspring, St Philip.
The long-time educator was fêted by family, friends, former teaching colleagues and former students, including Governor General Dame Sandra Mason, Dame Selma Jackman and Cultural Ambassador Stedson Red Plastic Bag Wiltshire.
Special guests also included Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley, brother Hollis Hinds and wife Anthia from Trinidad, Drs Maureen and Lincoln Saul from California, and Tiffany Alleyne (representing her mother Carol-Ann Gilkes) from New York, who flew in specially for the grand affair.
Guests enjoyed speeches by Prime Minister Mottley, god-daughter Jennifer Sealy, adopted granddaughter Tiffany, former students Stedson Wiltshire and Maureen Saul, former colleague Eustine Greene, and long-time friend Trevor Shepherd.
They shared memories of school days, mentorship and the positive impact Springer has had in many lives. Springer’s children Trevor and Carla also shared anecdotes about the “young man” they call “Pops”. (GC)