Chairman of the Barbados Sugar Industry Limited, Mark Sealy. (Picture by Lennox Devonish.)
Private sugar cane farmers may be in for a sweet treat in the next few days. If all goes according to plan, tomorrow they will be paid outstanding monies owed from last year’s harvest. They will also receive more payments for this year’s harvest next week.
Chairman of the Barbados Sugar Industry Limited, Mark Sealy, told THE NATION yesterday these funds were urgently needed by the cash-strapped private farmers.
He explained that farmers were owed $2.72 million for interim support from Central Government for the 2018 harvest and about $1.79 for 2019, and final payments for this year’s output.
“I understand that we are to be receiving 2019 interim support payment next week, which certainly would be timelier than it has been in the past, but it remains to be seen,” he said. “And I also understand that the outstanding interim support from 2018 is to be paid by Friday.” (SB)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.