Jockey Patrick Husbands (centre) produced a masterful ride on Lift Up to win the Maple Leaf Stakes on Saturday at Woodbine Racetrack. (Picture courtesy of Michael Burns.)
- Credit Unions join Social Partnership Read More
- Beale: Rise up against banks Read More
- Alleyne dominate Cross Country Relays Read More
- Alan: Son Josh a cut above me Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- New song from George Michael nearly three years after his death Read More
Barbadian Patrick Husbands has been hailed as an “artist” after producing a remarkable ride to win the Grade 3 CAN$130 000 Maple Leaf Stakes with favourite Lift Up at Woodbine on Saturday.
Trailing the field by three lengths down the backstretch and still last approaching the final turn, the 46-year-old Husbands put all his decades of dexterity on display, expertly threading the five-year-old bay mare through the crowded stretch to snatch a dramatic victory by 1 1/4 lengths.
Six-to-one choice She’s The Berries was second, while Lift Up’s stablemate, Theodora B, finished a close third. (CMC)