Rihanna accepts the President’s Award during the 51st NAACP Image Awards at Pasadena Civic Auditorium (Huffpost)
- Record job creation in US Read More
- Some Facebook advertisers threaten to withdraw Read More
- Bats must stand up, says Brooks Read More
- Burke ‘better’ because of COVID Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Sesame Street special tackles COVID Read More
Rihanna accepted the President’s Award at the 51st NAACP Image Awards on Saturday.
The singer was celebrated for her career in music and fashion, and her philanthropy, including her Clara Lionel Foundation, which aims to support and fund “education, health and emergency response programs around the world.”
“If there’s anything that I’ve learned [it’s] that we can only fix this world together,” Rihanna said in her acceptance speech.
She spoke about the importance of allyship, asking audience members to raise their hands if they have “colleagues and partners and friends from other races, sexes, religions.”
“They want to break bread with you, right?” she asked. “They like you? Well, then, this is their problem too.”
“When we’re marching and protesting and posting about the Michael Brown Jrs. and the Atatiana Jeffersons of the world, tell your friends to pull up,” she added.