• Today
    September 20

  • 07:53 AM

Coronavirus looms over Vietnam Grand Prix

REUTERS,

Added 28 February 2020

formula-one-vietnam

A worker arranges steel structure of grandstand at the construction site of Formula One Vietnam Grand Prix race track in Hanoi, Vietnam, February 18, 2020. (Reuters)

LONDON – Vietnam’s first Formula One grand prix will go ahead as planned on April 5, the sport said on Wednesday, despite continuing concern about the coronavirus epidemic that has caused the cancellation of China’s race.

The street race in Hanoi will be the third round of the season and the local promoter said the last 150 metres of the 23-turn 5.6km track was laid last week along the start/finish line.

“We are ready and can’t wait to welcome the world to Hanoi very soon,” Vietnam Grand Prix Corporation CEO Le Ngoc Chi said in a statement.

Formula One chief executive Chase Carey told analysts on a 2019 Quarter Four earnings call that “all systems are go” and he would visit Hanoi on March 16, the day after the Australian season-opener in Melbourne.

“The Vietnam Grand Prix will take place on April 5 in Hanoi. And to anticipate another question, we do plan to proceed with the race,” he said.

“We’re heading to Melbourne, heading to Bahrain and heading to Hanoi.”

The Chinese Grand Prix scheduled for Shanghai on April 19 was called off this month and there has been media speculation about the chances of Vietnam’s race going ahead as the virus spreads globally.

A badminton Olympic qualifier scheduled for Vietnam from March 24 to 29 was postponed to June on Tuesday due to “strict health protection restrictions in place in Vietnam”.

Australian Grand Prix organisers are planning for the season-opener to go ahead at Albert Park on March 15 despite government warnings that “all options”, including cancellation, would be considered if an outbreak of the coronavirus occurs.

“We will take our guidance and lead from the health authorities and fall into line with their instructions. We have to be open-minded,” Australian Grand Prix boss Andrew Westacott told local media on Wednesday.  (Reuters)

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Dos and Donts


Welcome to our discussion forum here on nationnews.com. We encourage lively debate, but we also urge you to take note of the following:

  • Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.
  • Be respectful – Meeting differences of opinion with civil discussion encourages multiple perspectives and a positive commenting environment.
  • Do not type in capitals – In addition to being considered “shouting” it is also difficult to read.
  • All comments will be moderated – Given the volume of comments each day, this may take some time. So please be patient.
  • We reserve the right to remove comments – Comments that we find to be abusive, spam, libellous, hateful, off-topic or harassing may be removed.
  • Reproduction of comments – Some of your comments may be reproduced on the website or in our daily newspapers. We will use the handle, not your email address.
  • Do not advertise – Please contact our Advertising Department.
  • Contact our Online Editor if you have questions or concerns.
  • Read our full Commenting Policy and Terms of Use.
comments powered by Disqus

POLL

Instead of an announcement via the Throne Speech, should Barbadians decide via referendum whether the country becomes a republic?

Yes
No

FRONT COVER OF TODAY'S NEWSPAPER

CARTOON

INSTAGRAM