• Today
    July 11

  • 03:42 AM

Work with us, says Acting Chief Medical Officer

KENDY GRAHAM, kendygraham@nationnews.com

Added 17 March 2020

kenneth-george

Acting chief medical officer Dr Kenneth George. (FILE)

Acting Chief Medical Officer Dr Kenneth George denied claims on social media that there was a cover-up in relation to novel coronavirus COVID-19.

Minister of Health and Wellness Jeffrey Bostic, in a live broadcast this morning, confirmed the two first cases of COVID-19. They are a 39-year-old Barbadian woman and a visitor from the United States.

George was responding to questions this evening during an interview on CTC TV 8. George and COVID-19 czar Richard Carter appealed for calm with George saying that the contact tracing was absolutely necessary as authorities tracked the two women's histories since coming to Barbados.

George did not give the flight airline number but said the women arrived here on March 13.
“We've engaged the airlines. We've been extremely upfront. We have engaged the airline to let them know what our thinking is and they have agreed to work with us . . . So I think with regard to contact tracing this will be a priority, and contact tracing is a very methodical and slow process,” he said.

He said the Ministry of Health and Wellness had been preparing for a very long time and had mproved surveillance.

The chief medical officer said there is enhanced on the ground testing, with the facility for 600 tests, while the ministry is working with partners in health care .

George urged the public to work with health officials through this difficult time. He said with regard to COVID-19 infections, 80 per cent of victims should have a mild case of the disease, ten per cent should receive more invasive monitoring and five per cent would require ventilated support.

(KG)

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Dos and Donts


Welcome to our discussion forum here on nationnews.com. We encourage lively debate, but we also urge you to take note of the following:

  • Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.
  • Be respectful – Meeting differences of opinion with civil discussion encourages multiple perspectives and a positive commenting environment.
  • Do not type in capitals – In addition to being considered “shouting” it is also difficult to read.
  • All comments will be moderated – Given the volume of comments each day, this may take some time. So please be patient.
  • We reserve the right to remove comments – Comments that we find to be abusive, spam, libellous, hateful, off-topic or harassing may be removed.
  • Reproduction of comments – Some of your comments may be reproduced on the website or in our daily newspapers. We will use the handle, not your email address.
  • Do not advertise – Please contact our Advertising Department.
  • Contact our Online Editor if you have questions or concerns.
  • Read our full Commenting Policy and Terms of Use.
comments powered by Disqus

POLL

Should the headquarters of a new regional airline remain in Antigua & Barbuda?

Yes
No

FRONT COVER OF TODAY'S NEWSPAPER

CARTOON

INSTAGRAM