PORT OF SPAIN – Trinidad and Tobago Tuesday reported four new cases of the coronavirus, including two people who had been part of a cruise ship tour that had resulted in as many as 40 of them testing positive for the virus for which there is no cure.
The Ministry of Health, in its latest statement, said that the Trinidad-based Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) had to date tested 353 samples, with 57 of them testing positive.
The ministry said of the new cases, one had a history of recent travel, another is known to have been in contact with a person with a history of recent travel, while the two other cases are “nationals who returned from a cruise but entered the country separately from the group of 68 nationals who returned from the same cruise”.
Those people who went on the cruise have since been placed in isolation at the Couva Hospital in Central Trinidad after 40 of them tested positive for the virus.
Earlier, Minister of National Security Stuart Young, defended the decision of the government not to re-open the borders to accommodate 35 Trinidad and Tobago nationals, who were left stranded in Barbados, after going on a cruise, despite pleas from the authorities for people not to undertake such activities.