- Youth hardest hit by COVID-19 Read More
- Branding key to selling Bajan and Caribbean products, says Caddle Read More
- ECB wants substitute rule for coronavirus Read More
- Hill open to motoring restrictions Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Avatar sequel to resume filming in New Zealand Read More
KINGSTOWN – St Vincent and the Grenadines, which a few days reported that it was coronavirus (COVID-19) free, on Wednesday recorded its second confirmed case of the virus.
The Ministry of Health said in a press release that it would provide additional information at a later date and that like first case a few weeks ago, this was also an imported one.
“The sample which tested positive was taken from a female patient who had travelled to St Vincent and the Grenadines from the United States on March 25,” the statement said adding that the tests had been carried out by the Trinidad-based Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA).
“The patient (and all the other passengers on her flight) was in mandatory quarantine from the time of her arrival. She reported symptoms on March 28, when a sample was taken for COVID-19. The Vincentian national was maintained in isolation since that period,” the statement said.
“The patient has already been told of her test result, and the process of informing other contacts has commenced. Public health measures will continue with the identification of additional contacts and the implementation of additional quarantine where necessary.”
As of March 31, 44 samples were sent to CAPHA for testing and there have been two positive results, the first being a woman in her 30s who had arrived here earlier this month from the United Kingdom.
The Ministry of Health said she has since recovered.
“The public is reminded to continue to practice the basic but highly effective public health measures of hand hygiene, cough etiquette, physical distancing and strict adherence to quarantine to keep us all safe from COVID-19. The Government of St Vincent and the Grenadines will continue to keep the public informed as we manage this public health challenge together,” the ministry said. (CMC)