• Today
    May 31

  • 04:38 PM

Bid for Carter Centre to observe Guyana vote recount

CMC,

Added 13 May 2020

guyana-elections-commission-logo

Washington – A bi-partisan group of United States lawmakers Tuesday expressed support for the recount exercise in Guyana and urged the authorities in the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country to allow the US-based Carter Centre to observe the event.

“We welcome the decision to initiate a vote recount in Guyana and reiterate our bipartisan commitment to supporting a fully transparent election process that reflects the will of the Guyanese people,” the lawmakers said in a joint statement.

Democrats Albio Sires, Gregory W. Meeks, and Sanford Bishop, joined Republicans Francis Rooney, Jeff Duncan and Jenniffer González-Colón in urging that the Carter Centre, which was among regional and international groups that observed the disputed March 2 regional and general elections polls, be allowed back into the country to observe the recount.

A three-member CARICOM team is observing the recount of the ballots, which is into its seventh day. The Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) had agreed to the recount after both the ruling coalition, A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) and the main opposition People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) claimed they were victorious in securing control of the 65-member National Assembly.

In their statement, the US lawmakers said they appreciated “the vital role that the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) has played in advancing democratic principles in Guyana.

“At the same time, we urge the government of Guyana to allow the observation team from the Carter Centre and technical advisory team from the International Republican Institute to return to the country to join CARICOM in observing the recount process.

“We remain dedicated to ensuring that the Guyanese people are free to exercise their right to vote, that their votes are counted accurately, and that they are able to shape a democratic and prosperous future for their country,” they added.

Last week, Guyana’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Dr Karen Cummings wrote the US Ambassador here, informing the diplomat that the airports would remain closed to incoming passenger traffic as part of Guyana’s national coronavirus COVID-19 emergency measures.

She said the government requests that its measures to protect its citizens from disease are respected.

President David Granger has said he is committed to the recount process and will accept the declaration that will be made by GECOM at the end of the exercise. (CMC)

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Dos and Donts


Welcome to our discussion forum here on nationnews.com. We encourage lively debate, but we also urge you to take note of the following:

  • Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.
  • Be respectful – Meeting differences of opinion with civil discussion encourages multiple perspectives and a positive commenting environment.
  • Do not type in capitals – In addition to being considered “shouting” it is also difficult to read.
  • All comments will be moderated – Given the volume of comments each day, this may take some time. So please be patient.
  • We reserve the right to remove comments – Comments that we find to be abusive, spam, libellous, hateful, off-topic or harassing may be removed.
  • Reproduction of comments – Some of your comments may be reproduced on the website or in our daily newspapers. We will use the handle, not your email address.
  • Do not advertise – Please contact our Advertising Department.
  • Contact our Online Editor if you have questions or concerns.
  • Read our full Commenting Policy and Terms of Use.
comments powered by Disqus

POLL

Are you satisfied with the way the Government of Barbados has handled the COVID-19 public health crisis here?

Yes
No

FRONT COVER OF TODAY'S NEWSPAPER

CARTOON

INSTAGRAM