Prime Minister Timothy Harris delivering his Budget speech. (FILE)
- Youth hardest hit by COVID-19 Read More
- Branding key to selling Bajan and Caribbean products, says Caddle Read More
- ECB wants substitute rule for coronavirus Read More
- Hill open to motoring restrictions Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Avatar sequel to resume filming in New Zealand Read More
BASSETERRE – Prime Minster Dr Timothy Harris Friday said that borders of the twin island Federation will remain closed, effectively dashing the hopes of overseas nationals who would have wanted to travel here to cast their ballots as had been the case in past general elections.
In a radio and television broadcast, Harris said the general election on June 5 will be held as the country continues with its efforts to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) even as he announced that new regulations twill come into force on Saturday, replacing those that expire later in the day.
He said the new regulations would remain in force until June 13 and that the nightly curfew remains in place and must be adhered to.
“It will start at 8 p.m. and end at 5 a.m. the next day, Monday to Friday, and it will begin at 7 p.m. and end at 5 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday,” he said.
Harris told the nation that his Team Unity administration, which will face challenge from the main opposition St Kitts-Nevis Labour Party (SKNLP) for control of the 11 seats in the National Assembly, ”is committed to keeping our people safe”.
“COVID-19 forced us to adjust the way we are accustomed to campaign and bring our ideas and vision to influence people to select the candidate of their choice. Our medical experts have strongly advised against mass gatherings, which are fertile ground for the transmission of the disease by asymptomatic persons,” he said.
He said that as a result those vying for seats in the Parliament are resorting to innovative ways to bring their programmes to the voters.
“Virtual campaigns, social media, and other innovative and creative ways are the new normal. When we visit residents in constituencies, we ask that candidates, campaigners and supporters follow the social distancing protocols. That is good for all of us.
“I urge all of us to pay attention. Our people must continue to behave responsibly. We have to be mature and keep the Peace at all times. I expect that the Supervisor of Elections and the Electoral Commission will be advised by the medical experts and thus ensure that registered voters will be safe when they go to vote. “
But Harris insisted that the strict guidelines that his government initiated some weeks ago have so far proven to be effective, and they have allowed the country to flatten the curve with respect to the virus that has killed more than 350 000 people and infected more than five million others worldwide.
“Our borders will continue to remain closed to international commercial flights and visitors so as to prevent and/or delay the possibility of importing any new cases. We are concerned that our ally the United States of America has become a hotspot for COVID-19. Many of us are concerned about the rate of infection in New York, in New Jersey and Florida.”
He said that there is a procedure that has been established and is in practice, which must be followed if requests for entry are made.
“My government is committed to keeping all of our citizens and residents safe. The health of our nation and its people is our number one priority. We know that we are all in this together, and in Unity, we as a people will overcome this challenge,” he added. (CMC)