Police officers marching past the US Consulate General in Chengdu, Sichuan province, China July 25, 2020. (Reuters)
- Zuckerberg grilled about acquisitions Read More
- Tech hearing postponed Read More
- Australia postpone series with West Indies Read More
- Todt has mixed feelings over Hamilton breaking Schumacher’s records Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Ellen promises better culture on set Read More
Chengdu - Security was tight outside the United States consulate in the Chinese city of Chengdu on Saturday as staff inside prepared to leave, a day after China ordered it to close in response to a US order for China to shut its consulate in Houston.
The tit-for-tat consulate closures have brought a sharp deterioration in relations between the countries, which have the world’s two largest economies.
Shortly after the Houston closure order took effect on Friday, a group of men who appeared to be US officials were seen forcing open a back door to the facility.
China’s ministry of foreign affairs said on Saturday that violated international and bilateral agreements and China would respond, without elaborating how.
In Chengdu, a US consulate emblem inside the compound was taken down and staff could be seen moving about. Three removal vans later entered the compound.
Police gathered outside and closed off the street to traffic in the southwestern Chinese city.
A steady stream of people walked along the street opposite the entrance throughout the day, many stopping to take photos or videos before police moved them on.
Plain clothes officers detained a man who tried to hold up a sign. It was not clear what the sign said.
Neither the consulate nor the US embassy in Beijing have responded to requests from Reuters for comment on the closure.
The order to close came after the Trump administration had given China until 4 p.m. on Friday to vacate its Houston consulate.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the consulate had been “a hub of spying and intellectual property theft”.
The US consulate in Chengdu was also given 72 hours to close, or until 10 a.m. on Monday, the editor of China’s Global Times tabloid said on Twitter.
The consulate opened in 1985 and has almost 200 employees, including about 150 locally hired staff, according to its website. It was not immediately clear how many are there now after US diplomats were evacuated from China because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. (Reuters)