Chancellor of the University of the West Indies Robert Bermudez. (GP)
- Zuckerberg grilled about acquisitions Read More
- Tech hearing postponed Read More
- CPL group tests negative for COVID-19 in Trinidad Read More
- Lara dispels coronavirus rumours Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Mulan skipping most theatres for streaming platforms Read More
The following statement was issued by Robert Bermudez, Chancellor of The University of the West Indies (The UWI), in tribute to the late Rt. Honourable Owen Arthur.
"The Caribbean has lost a true champion of regional integration with the passing of the Rt. Hon Owen Arthur. His leadership in operationalising the CARICOM Single Market is but one of his enduring legacies, and the region is the beneficiary of his commitment to getting that project underway.
"The UWI is proud of its distinguished alumnus, who was fearless and outspoken on issues of reticence by member countries of CARICOM to embrace closer integration and his voice in support of the full realisation of the dream of the founding fathers will be sorely missed.
"He will be fondly and respectfully remembered for his political acuity and skilful management of the affairs of his beloved Barbados, both as Prime Minister and in Opposition.
"My sincere condolences are extended to his immediate family and the people of Barbados. May he rest in peace." (PR)