Nirone Austin had a double in the new Assiniboia Downs season. (FILE)
- Zuckerberg grilled about acquisitions Read More
- Tech hearing postponed Read More
- CPL group tests negative for COVID-19 in Trinidad Read More
- Lara dispels coronavirus rumours Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Mulan skipping most theatres for streaming platforms Read More
Winnipeg – Barbadian jockey Nirone Austin inched towards double figures in the new Assiniboia Downs season when he starred with a double on Wednesday’s seven-race card at the western Canada racetrack.
He captured race two with 3-1 chance Terri’s Temper before returning to take race six with 20-1 longshot Stealthestretch, to move to nine wins from 93 rides.
Runaway season leader Antonio Whitehall had an uncharacteristically lean day with just one win in six outings on the midweek card when he piloted 4-1 bet Powerful Boy to victory in race seven over 7 and a half furlongs.
Barbadian Whitehall has 48 wins from 172 mounts to be 19 wins clear of second-placed Rafael Zenteno Jr and has installed himself as favourite for his second title in three years at Assiniboia.
However, it was Austin who took honours for a change. He opened his account in a six-furlong sprint, rallying late with four-year-old roan filly Terri’s Temper to beat the three-year-old and upward fillies and mares by one and three-quarter lengths. (CMC)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.