• Today
    March 31

  • 01:37 PM

$37m Tomas bill

marciadottin, marciadottin@nationnews.com

Added 13 November 2010

tomasbill2

Government will have to shell out an estimated $37 million dollars to repair  houses damaged by Tropical Storm Tomas. Making the disclosure at a Press Conference at Government Headquarters yesterday, Prime Minister Freundel Stuart said it was an expense for which government had not planned. But with confirmed reports of damage to 1000 houses, and expectations that the number could rise as high as 1 400 or 1500, the Prime Minister said government would be going to Parliament on Tuesday to get a legislative amendment to access the Catastrophe Fund which currently has about $23 million.  He added another $17 million had been sourced from  the Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility. The Prime Minister said storm damage had impacted more harshly on chattel houses in the lower income bracket and “has revealed a lot of low income housing stock is in a very bad state of repair”. About $5 million of the money being mobilised for national reconstruction will go towards payment of rental accommodation for those people whom government had been forced to accommodate in private housing and the few in hotels, as a result of their losing their roofs. Stuart revealed that  200 of the 1000 damaged houses will have to be replaced, and remarked: “I have to confess that I was flabbergasted at the fragility of the housing accommodation in  Barbados.” Questioned about the absence of a building code for Barbados, the Prime Minister said it was “absolutely necessary to impose building standards in Barbados” and added that a building code was “actively under consideration”. Meanwhile a Ministerial  oversight committee headed by Minister of Home Affairs and Attorney-General Adriel Brathwaite  has been established by the Cabinet. Also sitting on that committee are the Ministers of Social Care, Housing, Transport and Works and Finance as well as representatives from the Department of Emergency Management.  That committee  which meets next Monday, is mandated to report to Cabinet fortnightly and to the Prime Minister on demand. The Prime Minister made it clear that not all homeowners with hurricane damage would be entitled to assistance. “Where insurance policies have existed we would expect the  insurance companies to be responsible for the process of reconstruction,” Stuart said. The Prime Minister also indicated government would be talking with insurance companies in an effort to secure broader access to coverage for low income chattel-house owners.

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Dos and Donts


Welcome to our discussion forum here on nationnews.com. We encourage lively debate, but we also urge you to take note of the following:

  • Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.
  • Be respectful – Meeting differences of opinion with civil discussion encourages multiple perspectives and a positive commenting environment.
  • Do not type in capitals – In addition to being considered “shouting” it is also difficult to read.
  • All comments will be moderated – Given the volume of comments each day, this may take some time. So please be patient.
  • We reserve the right to remove comments – Comments that we find to be abusive, spam, libellous, hateful, off-topic or harassing may be removed.
  • Reproduction of comments – Some of your comments may be reproduced on the website or in our daily newspapers. We will use the handle, not your email address.
  • Do not advertise – Please contact our Advertising Department.
  • Contact our Online Editor if you have questions or concerns.
  • Read our full Commenting Policy and Terms of Use.
comments powered by Disqus

POLL

Was the national curfew implemented too late?

Yes
No

FRONT COVER OF TODAY'S NEWSPAPER

CARTOON

INSTAGRAM