Former Miss Universe contestant Jewel Garner (centre) with 2016 Miss Universe Barbados contestants Kenya Bhola (left) and Ukweli Wilson (right). (Picture by Gercine Carter.)
- Jamaican group completes take-over of Trinidad insurance company Read More
- Government ‘losing out’ on taxes Read More
- Jones breaks 34-year mark Read More
- Marie Aurore gallops to victory Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Scenes of Barbados in Fenty ad Read More
The line-up of beauties vying to represent the island at the Miss Universe Pageant were on the cocktail circuit last week, days before competing in last night’s Miss Universe Barbados show at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre.
Social Scene caught up with the contestants hobnobbing at the Royal Shop on Broad Street Monday night, when owner Hiranand Thani and his wife Nisha hosted a cocktail reception in the ladies’ honour.
It was the first time he was doing “something of this nature”, Thani told his guests, and he was doing it in honour of Barbados’ 50th anniversary of Independence to mark the Royal Shop’s 40th year of operation in December and to give back to Barbados.
Amidst the glitz of the jewellery on display in the store, the contestants added their own glam and the franchise director Brian Green was pleased as punch. (GC)