Posted on

Pickwick, rain deny Empire

marciadottin, [email protected]

Pickwick, rain deny Empire

Social Share

A 69-run eighth-wicket partnership between Kyle Hope (73 not out) and Rascelle Gittens (23 not out), combined with the rain to deny ICBL Empire the chance of an outright win yesterday.
Resuming on 21 for one, 62 ahead, Pickwick slumped to 89 for seven just under an hour before tea.
Hope, who came to the crease at 28 for two, found a good partner in Gittens. The pair frustrated Empire for 62 minutes until shortly after tea when Gittens was bowled by Ryan Hinds, the chief architect of Pickwick’s collapse.
Hinds finished with five for 50 off 26.4 overs – 23.4 of them consecutively on the final day. (PH)
AT WILDEY: Ryan Austin collected eight wickets for 70 runs from 19.4 overs, and almost single-handedly bowled Sagicor UWI to first innings points over LIME in their key clash, which ended in a tame draw.
Austin increased his aggregate for the season to 40 wickets and became the leading bowler in the Championship, as LIME, replying to UWI’s first innings total of 359 for seven declared, were dismissed for 194 about an hour before the scheduled close.
Randy Thomas hit the top score of 68 for LIME to become the first batsman to pass 500 runs for the season. He now has 501 runs.
Supporting knocks came from Alex Browne, 44, and former national Under-19 spinner Dario Cummins (28). (PGM)
AT INCH MARLOW: On a day in which only 24 overs were possible due to very wet conditions, Guardian General Barbados Youth batted solidly to move their score from 82 for one overweek to a respectable 150 for two at the close.
Kraigg Brathwaite and Roston Chase, who were not out on 31 and 32 respectively, added 120 for the second wicket before Chase, in attempting his third six of the innings, was caught at deep mid-on by Sheneldo Taylor off the tidy bowling of Jamar Phillips.
Chase, who scored 71, reached his fifty in 128 minutes off 102 balls with three fours and one six. Brathwaite’s half-century included four fours and took 144 minutes and 169 deliveries. (EH)
AT BAYFIELD: St Catherine almost had a turnaround victory against Maple when they claimed half of their opponents’ second innings wickets. The match eventually ended in a draw when time ran out with Maple 70 for six.
St Catherine wiped off the big deficit of 90 and then posted a score of 275 for three declared.
Dayne Maynard topscored with 84 while captain Kenroy Williams was unbeaten on 81 and Joel Leacock 72 in an unfinished partnership of 153.
Shane Ramsay was the only successful bowler with three for 87. (AI)
AT BECKLES ROAD: A face-saving fifth-wicket stand of 159 between Ryan Wiggins, with a fine unbeaten 77, and Dwayne Smith, a splendid 70, earned Caribbean Lumber YMPC a creditable draw against Banks yesterday.
When the match was called off, after five of the mandatory overs, YMPC were 228 for five – a lead of 164.
The pair joined forces at 60 for four with the hosts still four runs behind the first innings deficit.
They were not separated until the second of the mandatory overs when Smith was caught at long-off.
The very responsible knock, which carried him to 415 runs, came in 178 minutes off 78 balls and was decorated with five threes and three fours.
Wiggins was equally responsible, as he struck eight threes and one four from 144 balls in just under three hours. Both benefited from a chance.
Earlier, Banks, from an overnight 264 for eight, made 295 for nine declared in reply to YMPC’s 231 on the opening day. Smith ended with four for 104. (EHO)
At Queen’s Park: Only 7.3 overs were bowled on the final day of the top-of-the-table clash between Supercentre Spartan and TeleBarbados Carlton because of a wet outfield and a damp pitch.
 The match ended in a draw with third-placed Spartan gaining first innings points.
Second-placed Carlton started this interrupted day on 56 for 8 in reply to the home team’s first day total of 188 and were bundled out for 60.
Overweek not out batsman Dwayne Sealy became Andre Marshall’s fifth wicket of the innings when he was caught and bowled.
Rain had the final say when it halted proceedings four overs into Spartan’s second innings with the score on 15 without loss. (HE)
AT WEYMOUTH: For the second consecutive day, play at Weymouth “A” was abandoned without a ball being bowled, resulting in the match between Police and Wanderers ending in a stalemate.
No rain fell within the 24-hour period leading into yesterday’s final day but the ground remained waterlogged. (WH)