TV6 hires sacked host
PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad – The former host of the First Up programme on the state-owned Caribbean New Media Group (CNMG), Fazeer Mohammed, has been hired One Caribbean Media’s (OCM) TV6.
Mohammed is expected to appear as a co-host of TV6’s Morning Edition talk-show by January next year.
Head of TV6 News, Dominic Kalipersad, said Saturday that the TV Group is pleased to have Mohammed on board.
“I am certain that he will bring with him a great deal of professionalism and experience and will be an asset to OCM,” Kalipersad said.
Mohammed has been the centre of controversy for the last week after being fired last Friday.
CNMG said Mohammed was sacked as part of a cost-cutting measure but his sacking occurred shortly after an interview he conducted with Foreign Affairs Minister, Suruj Rambachan, during which the two had a heated discussion.
During the exchange, Mohammed, responding to questions by Rambachan said his religion Islam did not condone women in leadership positions.
Supporters of Mohammed, media workers and activists have since condemned the firing, saying it was politically motivated. (CMC)