Injunction extended against US company
BASSETERRE, St Kitts – The High Court Wednesday extended an Injunction against a US-based internet cable company after it dismissed 131 workers in March without prior notice.
The injunction prevents Clear Harbor (Nevis) Ltd, Clear Harbor LLC, Drive Partners (Nevis Limited) and two other persons from disposing, transferring, charging, dissipating, or diminishing or in any way howsoever dealing with any assets held in the names of the companies and persons named in the injunction.
High Court judge Errol Thomas had earlier this month granted the Injunction and in an affidavit, Labour Commissioner Spencer Amory said that Clear Harbor Nevis Limited closed its operations terminating the employment of all its employees.
He said that since the closure on March 30, he has had several meetings with the employees and representatives of Clear Harbor and “have been informed and verily believe the same to be true that they, along with other employees, are owed payments for several benefits, including wages, holiday pay, payment in lieu of notice among others”.
He said that he has been informed by the Social Security Board that on or around March 31 Clear Harbor Nevis Limited paid some monies to satisfy its various obligations for Social Security and Employment benefits and that there are still an outstanding balances severance payments housing levy.
The company also owes electricity and water bills as well as taxes under the Income Tax Act.
Amory said that after meeting with the attorney and for attorney and finance manager for Clear Harbor, both declined to give an undertaking that the company would meet its financial obligations prior to leaving the Federation. (CMC)