Posted on

New funds to boost Haiti


BEA DOTTIN, [email protected]

New funds to boost Haiti

Social Share
Share

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – The Interim Haiti Recovery Commission (IHRC) Wednesday announced plans to spend an estimated US$78 million under a project to rebuild part of the capital damaged by the January 12, 2010 earthquake that killed an estimated 300 000 people and left more than a million others homeless.
The Commission, which is co-chaired by former United States President Bill Clinton, said the funds would be used to re-develop at least 16 neighborhoods and remove people from six major settlement camps.
In a statement, the Commission said the project will help thousands of Haitians move back into their homes.
Last month, the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Special Representative to Haiti, P.J. Patterson called for a meeting of the IHRC to be held in the United States in September.
A statement issued by his office said that Patterson “reiterated CARICOM’s previously made offer to host a meeting of the commission and suggested that another be convened within the margins of the UN General Assembly in September.
The statement said Patterson underlined CARICOM’s support for a large-scale housing project in Haiti as proposed by President Michel Martelly that would allow an estimated 30 000 people to return to their neighbourhoods in 16 locations. (CMC)

LAST NEWS