Posted on

Misick:I am no fugitive


CAROL MARTINDALE, [email protected]

Misick:I am no fugitive

Social Share

PROVIDENCIALES – Embattled former premier Michael Misick has signalled his intent to seek asylum, though he did not say where, after an international arrest warrant was issued for his arrest.
Misick said there is a “complete set-up for a modern-day John Crow political lynching” and he is left with no other choice than to seek political asylum in a third country.
“Let it be clear. I am not a fugitive, and will never be a fugitive. I have applied for political asylum from another country and I am merely seeking protection from political persecution.
“I will continue to bring challenges to clear my name and that of my government and colleagues. I dream to return to my homeland as an independent, victorious, proud and free nation,” Misick said in a statement issued here.
The former head of government said the decision to seek asylum was due to the “political persecution” taking place against him, his family, former cabinet ministers and their families and a select few developers who supported him and my Progressive National Party during his tenure as premier of the Turks and Caicos Islands.
“I am convinced that this whole persecution is because of my views and firm plan to move our country towards Independence. This plan goes counter to the British and their supporters in the Turks and Caicos Islands. That is why stories were fabricated by the opposition, the British and their supporters in order to call for a Commission of Inquiry.
“It is unprecedented for a Commission of Inquiry to be comprised of a sole commissioner. It is my view that Sir Robin Auld came to Turks and Caicos Islands with specific instructions from the Foreign Office as to what the outcome of the Commission of Inquiry will be. In short, the outcome was pre-determined,” he stated.
On Monday, a spokesman for the Governor of this British Overseas Territory said that an international arrest warrant and “Red Notice” authorised by Interpol had been issued for Misick.
“For the past several months the Special Investigation and Prosecutions Team (SIPT) has sought to secure the attendance of Mr Misick at its offices in Providenciales in respect of allegations of corruption and money laundering during his time in office,” the spokesperson said in a press release.
The official said that “every opportunity has been given to Mr Misick to voluntarily surrender to the SIPT’s jurisdiction for interview.
“Despite previous indications from Mr Misick’s solicitors that he would attend for interview, he has failed to do so,” the statement added.
But in his statement Misick said that the authorities “bypassed the entire legal system” by appointing a Special Prosecutor “whose primary goal is to get rich of the backs of Turks and Caicos Islands’ tax payers and to make a name for herself.”
He said that the prosecutor had collected more than US$20 million of tax payers’ money and stood to collect at least another US$10 million in 2012, at a time when the interim government is laying off hundreds of civil servants, cutting pensions and other benefits and increasing taxes.
“There is no way that I, or any of the persons that have been accused by Helen Garlick and her team, can get a fair trial. The British Government, aided by two governors, Gordon Wetherell and now Ric Todd, have abolished our fundamental right to jury trial,” Misick said.
“They have also suspended democracy. The Governor and the prosecutor control the executive, the legislative and the judiciary. They have changed so many laws such as the Proceeds of Crime Bill, laws pertaining to evidence, laws pertaining to hearsay all in an attempt to convict me and my colleagues,” he added.
Misick accused British authorities of changing the law in order to secure a conviction adding that the verdict has already been decided by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the Governor the prosecutor and the Judges that they have chosen. (CMC)

LAST NEWS