Posted on

WI take upper hand

rhondathompson, [email protected]

WI take upper hand

Social Share

KINGSTON – Marlon Samuels defied a dropped chance and the “distraction’ of the women’s Olympic 100 metres final being shown in the ground to score a pivotal 52 that fortified West Indies’ bid for a series-clinching victory over New Zealand in the second Test yesterday.
The hometown hero, a century-maker in the first innings, struck seven fours from 103 balls in 157 minutes, after he was dropped early in his innings.
The Windies reached 135 for four in their second innings – still 71 runs adrift of victory – at the close on the third day – and with an eye on the weather as Tropical Storm Ernesto approaches the island.
Samuels put on 74 for the third wicket with Assad Fudadin to stabilise the innings, after the hosts made a shaky start to the chase, with left-handed openers Chris Gayle and Kieran Powell going cheaply.
Both Samuels and Fudadin fell in the final session, after play came to a standstill to allow the viewing on the Sabina Park electronic scoreboard of Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce’s historic victory in the women’s 100 metres final in London.
It left veteran left-hander Shivnarine Chanderpaul, not out on 20, and night-watchman Kemar Roach, not out on ten, to bat through the final five overs of the day.
This followed disciplined bowling from West Indies – led by Narsingh Deonarine – as the New Zealanders were dismissed for 154 in their second innings about an hour after lunch.
The part-time off-spinner ended with a career-best four for 37 from 22 overs, frontline off-spinner Sunil Narine finished with three for 19 from 12 overs, and Tino Best snared two for 44. Only Dean Brownlie (35) passed 20 with the bat for the Black Caps on the day.
Gayle was then trapped lbw for eight on the crease by a full-length delivery from left-arm fast-medium bowler Trent Boult in the third over of the innings and Powell fell for six, suffering a similar fate at the hands of Tim Southee, leaving the Windies 20 for two.
But Samuels joined Fudadin and brought a steadying influence, carrying the hosts to 56 for two at tea.
Samuels was 20 when fortune smiled on him and he edged Doug Bracewell to gully, where B.J. Watling put down a regulation chance in the final over before tea.
After the break, he and Fudadin continued to consolidate before the refreshment break was taken a few minutes early to allow fans to watch the Olympic race.
After the break, Fudadin started to play loosely before he was bowled for 27.
Samuels knocked a widish delivery from Dean Brownlie through backward point for a single to reach his 50 from 98 balls before he drove loosely at Bracewell and was caught at first slip.
Earlier, Deonarine and Best grabbed two wickets apiece before lunch, as New Zealand stumbled to 109 for seven at the interval.
After New Zealand started the day on 59 for two, Best triggered a wobble when he struck twice in the space of three deliveries in his third over, removing night-watchman Wagner for six and New Zealand captain Ross Taylor for a second-ball duck with catches to the keeper, leaving the visitors on 80 for four. (CMC)