Sixteen homeless after fires
Fire yesterday destroyed two houses, leaving 16 people homeless.
The first fire occurred around 2 a.m. in Field Road, Wildey, St Michael. Robert Harewood, 59, owner of the National Housing Corporation (NHC) unit, said he was sleeping downstairs when he was awakened by the heat.
“I got up and saw the fan on fire on a chair and the TV stand getting catch too. I couldn’t get it out. Then it blow upstairs and quick so, fire had the place mash down,” he said.
Harewood said he shared the house with his son, his daughter, her husband, her five children and her mother, who were all at home. Nothing was saved.
Neighbour Sarina “Eve” Weekes said when she heard the cry of “fire” she used her hose to help but the smoke was too much. (CA)